Sunday 22 April 2018

O'Hara's Imperial Stout

Origin: Ireland | Date: 2016 | ABV: 10% | On The Beer Nut: March 2016

A new era begins on Stash Killer! today. The beers that had been languishing in the attic to no particular purpose have mostly been consumed and reviewed. There are duplicates of some which I'll come back to in a few more years, and there are some new additions to the stash which I'm leaving to mature a while to see if anything interesting happens to them. But my intention now is to use this blog to try the beers I thought needed a bit of maturation when first tasted.

This one is a direct sequel to last month's post. That was the stout Carlow Brewing made to mark their 10th anniversary brewing in 2008. O'Hara's Imperial Stout came out in 2016, commemorating 20 years as a company. I thought at the time it would benefit from waiting until the brewing anniversary rolled around, and so here we are.

The metallic kick I picked up two years ago has certainly softened, leaving just a gentle minerality. In the centre there's a mix of blackcurrant and dark chocolate, and then a very slight savoury autolytic twang on the end. It hasn't quite become as complex as I hoped, but is a lot better than when it was fresh, so mission accomplished.

And with that, I'm putting this blog on indefinite hiatus, until the next time I fancy something from the stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment